Monday, February 28, 2005

Q and A

I discovered something really great in the comments about my post about the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I decided to answer some of for all to see, as I'm not sure people read the comments:

"So I am confused as to why your dislike of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs qualifies as Advancement Theory newsworthy.

I know you've classified the YYYs are overt, but other than venting your personal dislike for them (which is fine, don't get me wrong, it's your blog) and asking to hear why people do like them, I didn't get much out of the post (again, not that I have to get anything out of it, I can try to find a more objective discussion of AT elsewhere, if it exists.)"

I try to limit myself to news that adds to people's understanding of the theory, but I like to add to add to my understanding of things outside the theory because it allows me to make the theory more comprehensive. So occasionally I will write about a band that I don't like with the hope that some helpful reader will make me see the light. I try not to talk bad about bands, and I probably slipped up a little bit on that post.

"I do happen to really like the YYYs. I was at that concert and had a great time. I'm sorry I'm not more of an intellectual so that I could explain to you why I like them, except that I find the songs catchy, I like her voice, I like the lyrics, I like the energy."

That's good enough for me. No one really has to justify why they like a band, otherwise I would have to stop liking Stone Temple Pilots, who I know I should detest.

"... would it be fair say that Advanced is another word for Post-Modern...?"

I don't know enough about postmodernism as it relates to music. When I hear "postmodern" I immediately think "detached," ""ironic," and things like that, and the Advanced Theory is the opposite of those things, with a special distaste for irony. For instance, when Lou Reed celebrates rock'n'roll, he's not commenting on the absurdity of rock'n'roll, he really believes in its transformative powers. His life really was saved by rock'n'roll. In the world of Advancement, the guy who yells "Free Bird" at a Pavement show is having a less authentic and therefore inferior experience to the guy who yells "Free Bird" at a Lynyrd Skynyrd show. The second guy really wants to hear "Free Bird," but the first guy doesn't know what he wants and is left to mock the other guy. So I don't know if that really answers the question, but at least we've cleared up the "Free Bird" question. And I really appreciate your taking the time to write such a thought-provoking comment.

No comments: